Thursday, January 5, 2012

Howard Roark, Architect

The Fountainhead, page 200

So far, I love this book! Lera and I were actually just discussing this while at dinner with one of our friends (shoutout to Ushma!) And since this little project of ours is off to such a great start, I thought I should post about it!

Now obviously I have never written about a book (okay maybe in high school, but that really doesn't count) so I will give this a go. I had heard good things about the book and had even read a couple teaser pages. I had been intrigued but didn't really have high expectations. Delving deeper in, I found myself not wanting to stop! Its not even that the storyline is that interesting (the journey of 2 architects careers doesn't sound like it would be a page turner) but I feel so connected with the characters that I want to know how their story turns out. It feels like watching your friends in their life journeys and of course you want the very best for them, except in this scenario you have no influence and all you can do is helplessly watch(read) what happens next!

Personally, for me I loved when Roark gets his first commission. I felt such a sense of satisfaction for him! In my mind I was going Boo-Yah and dancing a little dance. It is so clear that Roark loves what he does and he is such a purist and cannot steer away from his ideals and beliefs in architecture. And he is faced in a time when his beliefs in architecture were mocked and disregarded, he faced countless rejections, and still persevered despite it all. He finally has someone who gets it. And not just anybody, a client, a client willing to take a chance and launch his career. Then he gets handed his first check and not only does he have the satisfaction of seeing it addressed to his own name but he sees probably the most single defining word in the entire world for him. Howard Roark, Architect.

No comments:

Post a Comment